NBNCo Broadband Roll-out

The National Broadband Network (NBN) is a government initiative to ensure all Australians can choose high-speed broadband.

A government-owned company called NBN Co has been created to build, install, and maintain the NBN. The NBN will be built on a region-by-region basis across the country and is scheduled to be complete by 2021.

On completion the NBN aims to provide high speed broadband access to 100% of Australian premises. To do so, the NBN will be delivered using fibre for 93% of premises and a mix of Fixed Wireless and Satellite technologies for the remaining 7%.

The NBN is a wholesale-only network, which means NBN Co does not sell directly to consumers. That’s where Telstra and other suppliers come in.

What the NBN means for Australian Businesses

Giving Australian businesses the digital advantage the NBN will deliver a faster, more reliable network for all Australian businesses, enabling us to participate in a global marketplace. It will help to drive productivity improvements, expand customer bases and enable jobs growth for all businesses.

Fast Facts:

  • 41.5% of Australian businesses had a web presence as at June 2009, Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)
  • Only 27.1% of Australian businesses took orders via the internet as at June 2009 (ABS)
  • Internet income made up only 5.2% of total income for Australian businesses that received online orders in 2008/09.
  • The NBN is part of the Australian Government’s Digital Economy Goal to make Australia one of the top five OECD countries when it comes to businesses using broadband to increase productivity and further jobs growth.